Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A Teepee for Ava

One of the best things about being a teacher is school holidays. 

Before Ava came along, I used to look forward to the sleep-ins, days on the couch in front of the telly in my jammies and endless hours of shopping and coffee catch ups. I may not get sleep-ins, but I certainly get to hang about in my jammies, not bother putting on any make-up or do my hair, and the endless hours of TV have been replaced with Giggle and Hoot and Peppa Pig. Holidays certainly aren't what they used to be anymore, but I am so grateful for the extra time that I get to spend with my little Miss, allowing me to feel like a stay-at-home Mummy again. 


Holidays also allow me the opportunity to create! It took me awhile to get in the swing of things, but if I'm organised enough, I can manage to shop for supplies, set up, cut fabric etc while Ava's up to help me, and then do things like sew and assemble when she's asleep! I should really do this more often!
I have been eyeing off teepees for quite awhile now, seen them in boutique kids shops and online, and been desperate to purchase one for Ava, but really couldn't justify the $150 plus for a good quality tent.

I found this tutorial online and if you're keen on making one of your own, I strongly suggest you follow this post because it really works! I've made a few adjustments (as I do) and I'll detail them further down in this post but head over to Strawberry Swing and Other Things if you'd like some more info.

 So here's my finished product! I think it ended up costing about $60, plus the fun in creating such a cool little hang out area for Ava was pretty exciting too! Sure, there were times when it drove me crazy and some elements were trickier than others, but the end result is totally worth it.


As for my embellishments, it was actually my husband Heath's idea to add the fabric and leaves to the ends of the poles. This is great both because it covers up the not-so-pretty PVC pipe, but it also gives it a lovely 'woodsy' feel which I'm really happy with.
In order to achieve this look, 
1.  Cut out strips of contrasting brown fabrics
2. Sew them together to form 1 huge long strip
3. Wind your big long brown strip around the piping nice and tightly. 

This also helped to bind the pipes together and hold the teepee in place. I would strongly suggest doing something along these lines as it becomes really hard to hold the 'sticks' in place and this really reinforces the shape of the teepee.


I also hand stitched some little felt leaves together and attached them to the branches with floral wire.



The other embellishment I added was some extra piping to the base of the teepee. When I was setting up the teepee originally, the shape would continually change and warp depending on what angle I moved each pole into. This drove me bazerk! I ended up sewing up some sheaths for the poles and attaching them to the base of the teepee, and now it stays in shape, even when lugging it up and down the hallway for photoshoots!

Firstly, you need to measure your pipes! I think mine are approximately 85cm long each, but please measure each one individually yourself, then cut each length as carefully as you can!

In order to make these sheaths, 
1. cut strips of fabric that equal the diameter of the pole, plus 1/2 inch seam allowance for sewing. 
2. Stitch the strip together with right sides facing. 
3. Turn the sheath right side out by attaching a safety pin to one end and feeding it through itself.

You could make one long strip the entire outer length of the teepee, or each individual length, but ensure you allow enough of a seam allowance to attach them all together.

4. Slide the PVC pipe (or dowel) through the sheath 
5. Hand-stitched the fabric to the base of the teepee.  

This can be a really fiddly job, but it is worth it, trust me!

 

I think the family enjoy it!!

 



 That's it! I think it took me a few days to complete, but I was working on it on and off during nap times and any chance I could be baby free!! I think if you could dedicate a weekend to making your teepee you'd be right though!

Please feel free to ask me any questions, or if you'd like more detailed instructions I'd be happy to post them for you.


This post is linked up at some of these fabulous linky parties xo

45 comments:

  1. I love how you disguised the PVC pipes, this is genius.... and super cute!

    Sara @ stripesandpolkadotsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I had a lot of fun!! Thanks for visiting xox

      Delete
  2. That is just darling! Wrapping the pvc to look like tree branches is genius and the pic of dad in the tee pee is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I have to give the 'branch' credit to my husband, I guess his was reward was getting to be in the post! Thanks for stopping by xox

      Delete
  3. I keep wanting to make one of these! So, so cute!

    xo
    Becky
    @bybmg
    bybmg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cutie! Love the teepee and love the 'woodsy' look too! Hope you will stop by our Snickerdoodle Sunday sometime and link up. Pinning this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just linked up xox Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking up :) I am still talking hubby into making one :) wish me luck!

      Delete
  5. It turned out so beautifully! I love the "branches" at the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April, I really appreciate your lovely comments!!

      Delete
  6. This is so cute! I can't til my daughter is older and would appreciate something like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You'll have to find some time to make one for her when she's bigger!!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love this soooo much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmody! So glad you could swing by!

      Delete
  8. I made a tee pee years ago for my boys but it wasn't nearly this cute. I love the way you dressed up the ends of the pipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was gorgeous, Jennifer! I would actually love to make another one one day with cowboys and indians fabric… I'll just need some time, room and maybe a son!
      Thanks for popping by xox

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, this is adorable! I am pinning it even though I don't have kids yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great Jenna! You've always gotta pin this stuff for a rainy day! Thanks for popping by xox

      Delete
  10. My little guy would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how this turned out. What a great idea to wrap the top poles to look like trees. Those leaves are precious! Thanks for sharing at link it or lump it!

    Amy @ http://www.delineateyourdwelling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure Amy, thanks for having me! Enjoy your weekend xo

      Delete
  12. Love it! Very impressed and you have now motivated me for make one for my daughter Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's fantastic Jyoti! I hope she enjoys it! Send me a pic when you're done! Thanks for visiting xox

      Delete
  13. Very cute! I love this idea and I LOVE the branches and leaves at the top :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri! And thanks for popping by too!

      Delete
  14. Adorable! Love the leafy tops! :) I'm pinning this with some other PVC projects I'd like dh or ds to make for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great idea! You'd totally be able to do this without a mans help I'd say :) Happy sewing!

      Delete
  15. That's darling!!! Now to find a pattern for a grown-up size! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! If you wanted you could totally adjust the pattern for an adult to fit in too :) Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for linking up to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - your awesome project was featured yesterday!!
    --Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute! My daughter's name is Ava, too, and she would LOVE this. :) Thanks for linking up at Link'n Blogs. I shared this post on FB.
    https://www.facebook.com/iputabirdonit/posts/537384316371116?stream_ref=10

    xo
    Daniela
    http://iputabirdonit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaw, gotta love the name :) Thanks for having me at Link'n Blogs! it was my first time but I'll be sure to visit again! Thanks for swinging by xox

      Delete
  18. Wow!!! This is a terrif idea and an amazing work!!! Cool pics! Pinned! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just wanted you to know, I loved this so much it's being featured on The DIY'ers today! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-diyers-60.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you! And thanks for visiting xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute! I'm featuring your teepee tonight at the Do Tell Tuesday party...It's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! I'm a beginner sewer and would love to make this for my toddler for xmas... Could you tell me what the dimensions end up being approximately? And how high it is? Our ceilings are fairly low and I'm hoping both height and width wise it will fit in our living room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for visiting!!

      It's about 16m cm tall and 150cm wide :) Takes up a LOT of room, so lucky it's pretty and a nice feature in the back room!

      Delete
  23. Okay, so I have a question about the pole decor. Did you wrap the pipes separately prior to inserting them into the teepee or are they wrapped together at the bottom essentially doubling down on the rope to hold the poles in place? Assuming they're wrapped together and minus taking out your sheaths, is it still pretty easy to "fold" up and store? Not that I intend on doing that often, but knowing that we're moving son, my hubby MIGHT kill me if I make a tent that loses its integrity when we take it down and set it back up again :)

    Also, is the brand fabric just muslin? It looks kind of gauzy which I like!

    I love the embellishments and the sheath idea - I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so this idea really speaks to me! I just ordered all my supplies (I'm using Art Gallery Indian Summer fabrics for the front panel and pillows) this week and I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      The poles are wrapped just at the top, above the top bit of canvas. There are holes drilled into the tops of the poles where they cross over that is strung with strong string to keep it all together.
      I've never actually removed it from its spot in our back room, but it'll certainly be easy to fold to move, no stress there!!

      thanks for visiting!!

      Delete

Blogging tips